Monday 11 February 2013

CV Workshop

Today everyone had the opportunity to attend a CV workshop in university to enhance our writing skills and to learn how to talk about ourselves in a formal matter. Having a really good CV is vital at the moment what with all of the work experience coming up that we need to do for third year. If I haven't mentioned it already, we need to log 80 hours of work experience before the next term starts in September. I personally am really looking forward to these opportunities that we are being given; however I won't get them without an amazing CV!

I have got a very good CV at the moment because I attended another workshop earlier on in the academic year but I thought I could learn a bit more by attending this different one. Here are the notes I made during the workshop that I found useful:

  • Having a full UK drivers liscence can be very appealing to employers so always put this on your CV if you have one
  • Business cards - very handy for giving out to anyone you meet when talking about jobs or just networking. Spread your name about!
  • Give examples of when you have used the skills that you have listed in you CV
  • Spelling and grammatical errors cannot happen - employers will spot these and dismiss your CV straight away
  • Save you CV as a PDF file so that it is easier for employers to open and the layout will not chance
  • Cover letter should show your personality and not be as formal as your CV
  • Research in to the places you are applying for and use for your cover letter - butter them up!
  • Always best to address a person by name - if you are emailing and don't know who to actually send your CV to then simply ring up and ask!
  • Use power words - stay positive thoughout both CV and cover letter. Avoid starting sentences with I.
  • Cover letter should not address anything that is on your CV, it is additional
  • Be specific!
  • Show your CV to as many people as possible so that you can get a lot of feedback on the content and layout, as well as spell checking!
My Reflection
I always find workshops usful because even if you think you know everything you always learn at least one new thing. With my CV I believe that if I didn't attend both of the CV workshops it would not be as good as it is right now! I have learned a lot today and I hope to improve my CV further before applying for any other work experience opportunities.

You Learn Something New Everyday
I should defintely get business cards! It would be so useful when meeting new people and leaving them with contact details! 

Speak Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment