Monday 27 February 2012

Production Practice Lighting Workshop

In this weeks Production Practice lecture, we had a introduction to lighting workshop. We have never looked at lighting before so this was literally the first chance I have had to learn about them. Prior to this lecture, I viewed the BBC introduction videos that we had been advised to look at via blackboard. I found them helpful and it allowed me to learn a bit more just before the lecture.
At the start of the lecture, we learned about the 3 point lighting system. This is the basic set up of lighting that we need to know; we will mainly be using this for interview settings. The reason that we have been introduced to them is because we are doing more factual work and so we need to talk to people about the subjects we choose.
Here is a simple diagram of the basic 3 point lighting system:
As you can see, the fill light is the main bright light that gives the subject the main focus. This is usually placed at the same sort of angle as the camera itself. On this diagram it is slightly forwards. The key light is a light that illuminates the other side of the subject and gives off a softer light compared to the fill light. This is used as well so the subject isn't overwhelmed by the fill light. Finally, the back light does what is says on the tin. This is usually opposite the camera and gives the back of the subject light; adding depth to the shot.
I made some notes during the lighting workshop that I thought may be useful to me when doing lighting for myself:

  • Lighting shouldn't be obvious
  • Iris control can brighten shot
  • ''Making shadows disappear''
  • Always use diffuser paper
  • When interviewing, be closer
  • Arrive at least 30 minutes before
  • Test set up with crew beforehand
  • Book - 'Harris Watts - What's On Camera'
  • Health and safety is paramount
  • Fill illuminates hair (gives 3D)
  • Background is very important
  • Lighting is based on personal taste
  • No lighting (amateur) lighting (professional)
  • Moving the fill light gives effects
  • Reflector for more light (light disc)
  • Even desk lights are useful
I found this lighting workshop very useful because I have never used lighting before. I think that I will feel confident when using lighting now because I know the basics and took in the information. We have also been given information booklets to help us as we set up the equipment; this way we can read about health and safety and how to use the equipment on set.

Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment