Wednesday 20 November 2013

Production Project - Impromptu Meeting about Lighting

This morning I had an off the cuff meeting with Ian and Mark about the lighting and other aspects of my final production project. It all started with a very messy diagram of my kitchen space where I am shooting the animation. Here is a photo of the drawing and then a proper digital diagram which is clearer.
The idea is that we will put a large blonde light outside the kitchen window in the conservatory to create daylight and a constant flat light so that it won't change during the day. This is mainly because shooting in winter creates a lot of shadows and also the daylight hours a lot less in the winter months. Now I just need to convince my mum and dad to let me have a huge industrial light in the conservatory...

The small dots on the bottom diagram are spotlights that we have in the kitchen so I will be able to use these as well to give the scene some reality as to what the kitchen actually looks like. We also have a light that is around where the word kitchen is, but I need to do some test shots to see if we actually need that light on.

I think I am only going to be using the surface in the kitchen that is from the oven and above on the diagram because I don't want to shoot the other end as the main light from the blonde will be lost. This also makes it easier for angles, etc and I won't have much moving to do.

From now, I am going to do test shots of the general light in the room throughout the day and see what settings I am going to need the camera on for the whole shoot. I am booking a 7D and tripod out this week for me to use and practice with and then I will report back with my findings to my tutors to see what the next step is.

We finally discussed things like saturation and whether I will have any dream sequence of flashbacks. Upping the saturation will give the whole film a surreal feeling and so I think I would like to do this to make it more cartoon-like. We referred to Amelia the film because that has this sort of dream world feel. I would also like to look at maybe using some black and white but that will happen in the post production.

Speak Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment