Friday 12 October 2012

TV Studio Production - Script Writing

In the second half of today's lecture, we moved in to a classroom where we began to discuss the skills and techniques of script writing for a television show. We were given a lot of hard copy examples that show exactly the style in which a script should be laid out. We went through each of the examples and learned about the various abbreviations used and also the way in which we should do our scripts when it comes to our shows.
Here are a few of the points that I learned during this script writing workshop:

  • The page is split in to two sides - the left hand side is the shots/as directed. The right hand side is the actions/speech.
  • Scripts are a created using a universal format, like a language.
  • Exact words are not needed when doing an item. Just a general description of what will be happening.
  • The script isn't precise, as directed means just 'feeling' what is happening and watching the presenter. Reacting and responding.
  • The show has a shape and has been produced but the words and movements are not finite.
  • A map of the layout of items on the table that are being used is made so that no items block the presenters hands when they are making the object.
  • Before adding camera, there is just a normal direction script.
  • The front page indicates all those involved and the roles they have taken.
  • For the camera script, the text should only be in the right hand side so that the vision mixer can clearly see the shots and cuts.
  • Page numbers should always be included.
  • Correct terminology is very important because it is universal and everyone should know what the abbreviations mean.
  • As directed is the same on a demo as well as an interview. The cameras are told what they will be doing throughout. 
  • Camera cards should be A5 size and camera people should all have pens in case the scripts change during the rehearsal.
My Reflection
I really found this session useful because I have never had any script experience before this. Going through various examples helped me realise that all the terms are universal and that I need to know all my camera abbreviations off by heart if I want to be a successful camera person. Luckily, I am quite good at knowing my shot sizes, however I need to learn more about the script layout. I think that the script writing will be fun because we can work as a team to create the scripts so that everyone can see how the process works.

You Learn Something New Everyday
I think this blog speaks for itself. I learned how to script write!!

Speak Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment