Thursday 24 October 2013

Creative Media Practice - Interactivity and YouTube

Unfortunately, the YouTube sessions were other sessions of this module that I missed due to illness. But I did do some research and looked at the information given on Blackboard to give me an idea of what exactly these sessions were about. I have also viewed the rest of the classes work as they have kindly put them on their Facebook's and YouTube channels.

YouTube interactivity is easily done once you have yourself a YouTube account (which I happen to have) so I decided to have a little explore of how to use the annotations editor on one of my videos.
So you can edit the annotations on the video by clicking the button that I've highlighted and this brings up an new window that allows you to add annotations and edit existing ones. I found a pretty useful YouTube video of a man explaining how to add YouTube annotations to your existing YouTube videos (YouTube-ception, am I right?).


The purpose of annotations on YouTube can vary. I have seen them used for advertisements whereby the person who has uploaded the video adds an annotations to link you to a place where a product is from or even another video of their own. Annotations can also be used by people who do vlogs to just add to comments they may have made or expand on something that they mentioned. So people find the annotations annoying and I am one of those people. I actually have my 'show annotations' button off so that I am not disturbed during videos. You do find that certain YouTubers use them too much and this can be distracting. So I think using them in the correct way and also not overloading one video with them is okay.

For this session, the mini-brief was to design, plan and implement an interactive narrative using these YouTube annotation. The idea was to create multiple videos and the videos link to each other. Depending on what you choose, you are lead to various videos in which the story unravels. I like the idea of this so I searched for any that had already been done on YouTube.


Here is one based loosely on a story line like the Da Vinci Code. I like this one because you are essentially solving mysteries with the narrator helping you along. This is the link to the starting video.



Here is another example in which you direct the character throughout the story world. This is clever because the annotations are just used as directions to go in in the frame itself. Here is the link to the starting video.


From looking at these examples I can see how this could be a great interactive piece of media for users and it only involves the click of a button. This is much simpler than Isadora as all of the hard bit is done for you within YouTube itself.
I think if I was to make a YouTube interactive story I would do something based around a murder mystery because I like the idea of the users having to solve something and think about what they are clicking instead of just guessing or choosing at random. Having that set in a house would be perfect because the story could lead to other rooms and show various murder weapons and also introduce characters. So basically I would have made Cluedo an interactive YouTube experience... But yeh!

I am thinking about using this for my final project but I want to do something that is relevant to my final production project so that I can learn from it and make production project the best it can be. I can't see YouTube annotations coming in to play with that but it does sound like a great resource I could take use of if I ever wanted to link multiple pieces of work together on my channel.

Speak Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment