Monday 17 October 2011

Another creativity and concept lesson :)

I'm going to have to be a Media nerd and say this, but I actually enjoy our lessons! Especially these because we are constantly being introduced to something new each lesson. Obviously the name of the module gives the content away slightly; our lessons mainly focus on ways of improving our idea output, creativity and generally getting to know ourselves and others more through the course.


Before we actually 'got down to business', our lecturers decided to show us 'The Automatic'. This is the room as a whole, a relaxing space to work and learn. However, the main feature of the room is a giant projection board which is 3 large boards put together to become one. We had a go of the board by each having a keyboard which allowed us individually to type what we wanted on the board anonymously. We were asked 'what is the meaning of life?' and of course some precarious answers, and of course the number 42 came about as well. The point of this quick exercise was to show us all that we had a space in which we could come and discuss ideas a group and visualise how these ideas all spout and connect.


From this, the lesson was all about Edward De Bono and his ways of thinking. We used various methods that he has created to access ideas and creations in our minds for a new product to have in the Liverpool Screen School. One exercise involved two images, and we had to think of words to do with the object on these images. Our first, for example, was a hot air balloon and wheelbarrow. We came up with many ideas but finally voiced one, which was (strange as it sounds) little hot air balloons that carried your mail above everyone's heads through the corridor instead of boring emails. This shows how using divergent thinking and then convergent thinking allows the human brain to think of completely new ideas from something so simple.


Another exercise that we took part in (which I intend to use in my own time) was the 'Brain Box'. In groups we were given a box full of scraps and cuttings that had been collected. we were asked to come up with ideas from these things. It could be anything related to one or multiple items in the box, and the further away from the original ideas the better because this shows development. I like this brain box idea because I could keep everything that interests me such as magazine cuttings or leaflets I have picked up. This box would allow me to store everything I see for future reference rather than forgetting about them.


This lesson allowed me to see all the ideas that I could come up with when given a word or object to work from. The exercises were useful to me personally and so with the research that we have looked at about Edward De Bono I am going to take this further and put it into action when I need to think of ideas. I think I will buy one or two of his books as well as his work does interest me.


Here are some photographs of the work that we produced and also a photograph of 'The Automatic' and the big screen we used to work out the meaning of life :)
Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment