Tuesday 11 October 2011

Chosen photograph and outcomes: Digital Media Tools

I finally decided what photograph to use and put into Photoshop to edit, and this is it:
This is the original image that I photographed myself. This is before any editing in Photoshop. I personally think that the photo hold its own without any editing, but maybe that's just me!
I decided to do a couple of edits to have a play around with Photoshop; I am fairly familiar with Adobe suites as I used them throughout my A level courses in 6th form. I didn't want to do anything dramatic because this would then take away from the original image. For example, our tutors mentioned the use of filters; there are some crazy ones on Photoshop like accented edges which gives objects a psychedelic glow to them.
This is the first edit that I created. As you will see, some of the changes are not dramatic because I wanted simple effects added to the photograph to enhance the original and not make a whole new image. I used the Lighting Effects tool on filters and used 'omni' which is one of the settings in this. I decided that because the foreground Buddha is the focus of the image, that the spotlight focus should span from his face. This suggest him and the other are seeking spiritual guidance in the direction that they are looking.
This edit is the one with the most intense change, but I feel that it enhances the image none the less. I used the Dark Stroke filter to lighten the reflections but also darken the shading around the statue. This makes the Buddha look more rustic and worn down. I like this change because in the original he does look very clean and perfect. Criticism I had was that the dark tones do not suit his expression, but the reason I used these tones was because I was focusing more on the actual texture and exterior of the sculpture rather than his feelings.
Okay, so these two images look practically identical, however they are not. I used the Contrast to brighten the original and let the light reflections shine. I also liked how it made the photograph have an even happier feel than the original. The different between the two images is how I have smoothed out the distortion or 'noise' in the image. The top image only has the contrast changed, but then because of this the fuzzy texture appeared. So I then enhanced this image by using the blur and smudge tools to reduce this distortion. The end result being the second image. A very slight change but in the better quality images you can see the difference.


I liked doing the exercise because it encouraged me to take more photographs of my surroundings, this is something that I have been meaning to push myself to do. I also liked using Photoshop because it refreshed my memory from previous years and allowed me to ease back in to the programme.


To see all of my photographs in better quality and all of my classmates too, visit this link to Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ljmu_lss/

Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment