Thursday 10 November 2011

Alice In Wonderland Tate Liverpool Exhibit

Yesterday I dragged my boyfriend to the Liverpool Tate art gallery to see the new Alice In Wonderland exhibit. I was so excited to head about this exhibit and have wanted to go since I heard about a month ago. It was reiterated to me that this would be a valuable experience when in our Creativity and Concept lesson, Sarah mentioned the exhibit. 
The whole exhibit is work inspired by Lewis Carroll's original Alice. But there are also pieces that are original Carroll work. The exhibit is on the ground floor and the 2nd floor, and is a very fluid walk through experience.
The group floor has the one room, with various paintings and information around the walls. Then (probably my favourite piece) from the ceiling there were LED lights in the shape of words linking with Alice In Wonderland. The contrast of the wonderfully detailed paintings to the abrupt colours of the lights was fascinating. This room was a simple square room but very large.
Moving to the 2nd floor, the space was more of a walk through area with a sense of a journey throughout the pieces. There were many pieces by the same artists, a sort of collection of works. For example, Salvador Dali was present with drawing depicting a strange world that he saw as Wonderland.
I found the exhibit very interesting, with the video projections and various moving images, it really made it feel as though you were travelling through the space. The velvet red curtains that framed each doorway did make the exhibit more of an adventure, you entered one room and the mood and theme changed, much like Wonderland itself.
The books that were presented in glass cases were from various era's, all variations of the story of Alice. There is also historical content in the gallery, explaining who Alice's character is based upon and her background.
I have a few photographs from the exhibit of the quotes that lined the walls and other bits, here they are!

It was a fantastic day out and money well spent I think! Looking at works inspired by one of my favourite childhood tales was amazing, and I would go again. Anyway, that was my Alice In Wonderland Exhibit blog, enjoy!


Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment