Monday 14 November 2011

Days off...

On my days off this week I have decided that I am going to visit the Walker Art Gallery and also the Liverpool World Museum. I visited the Tate gallery and the Museum of Liverpool last week and it proved to be a wonderful day!
In the Walker, there is a Matisse exhibit on which I am terribly excited about because he is one of the artist I have studied throughout the year I have done art and graphic design. The exhibit focuses on the original art books of Henri Matisse, and there is 63 framed original illustrations from Matisse himself. This exhibit is on until April, so another visit may be in order if it is as amazing as I hope!
Another exhibit that the Walker has on, which is only on until the 4th December, is 'An Alphabet' which consists of work from Sir Peter Blake. For you who don't know, Blake is the creator of the infamous Sgt. Pepper work for The Beatles. He is a renowned British artist and the collection of Alphabet pieces (from A to Z) show his creativity and design preference throughout.
The thing about the Walker Art Gallery is that its so big compared to the TATE. Many more exhibits go on in the Walker because of the sheer size of the building.
The third exhibit that is on at the moment (end date is to be confirmed) is called 'Feathercuts and Flares - Fashion from the 1970's'. This takes you through the fashion styles of the 70's through disco and beyond. An interesting exhibit to say the least, and as I have always had an interest in fashion, I think I will particularly enjoy it.
The final exhibit is 'Savage Style: Costumes from Lily's wardrobe'. Of course, everyone knows about Lily Savage! The expensively dressed lady of television and beyond. The exhibit is part of Liverpool's Homotopia festival, focusing on art based around gay, bisexual, transvestites and more. As I have previously mentioned, when I went to the Museum of Liverpool, 4 of Lily's dresses were there in the window. This made me want to go and see the rest of the collection. Paul O'Grady is one of the most famous faces to come out of Liverpool and his alter ego Lily Savage is just as well know as he is! I am looking forward to this exhibit because of the flamboyant and risqué clothing I know will be there.
Of course, the Walker has many other art works that are permanently on show, from Monet to Hockney. I am looking forward to my trip to the Walker, to get inspired and to learn more about the art of the world.

I am also going to be visiting the Liverpool World Museum, which has an array of exhibits from dinosaurs to samurai's. This visit I will not be looking for anything in particular as I have not been to the World Museum in a long while. I just want to go and spend the day walking around all of the exhibits and seeing all of the fascinating artefact's such as mummy's and meteorites!
Photography is allowed in all of the exhibits (also in the Walker) so hopefully I will have a lot to report back with.

Here is the link to the website where I found all of the information about the Walker and the World Museum. They also have information about many other places to visit in Liverpool so enjoy!
Speak soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment